Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Motivation

Ron Stutts of WCHL asked me why I was doing this (participating in the UNC Healthiest You Challenge). I told him that I wanted to live a long time for my kids. What I didn't tell him was just how important that is to me. My wife and I waited a long time to start trying to have children. Then we found out that we couldn't. We have since adopted 2 beautiful children.

As part of the adoption process for our son, I was required to get a physical. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and type II diabetes. That coupled with the fact that we lost my father-in-law to cancer before he was able to hold our children in his arms put it into our minds that we needed to make some serious changes in our lives.

My doctor was confident that with diet and exercise, I could reverse all the issues, so we made some small goals. Shortly afterwards, I found out about the challenge at work and my wife encouraged me to apply. So now, I have eight weeks to establish some great habits and get well on my way to becoming the man I need to be for my wife, my kids and even their kids!

3 comments:

  1. So inspirational! Thanks so much for posting about your amazing journey and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reasons for making a change! Keep up the good work. Those kids need you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! You are putting in some hard work- keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete