Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Jazzercise - visit to a sponsor the sequel

     A co-worker told me that she wouldn't go to a Jazzercise facility because it is old.  What she meant is that it isn't the current fitness fad.  That may be true, I remember doing Jazzercise with my Mom to a VCR tape in the 80's.  But what is also true is that it kicked my butt then and it still does.  It is a great workout!  Most of my teammates decided to meet at the Jazzercise facility that is ironically located around the corner from a Bagel shop on Weaver Dairy Road.  Early this morning we showed up at the first class of the day (Tuesdays and Thursdays).
     There was plenty of room for us there.  I guess there aren't that many people that want to get up so early for such an intense workout.  Our trainer Paula is still out of town.  We were led this morning by the Jazzercise instructor who is also named Paula.  We started out with a warm-up, then transitioned to an intense workout, and then a cool down.  After that we did some strength training and then some stretching.  It was just as complete a workout as the boot camp workout a week ago.  Thank you to Ann for inviting us, Paula for instructing us and the regulars who made us feel welcome.
     One of the regulars took our picture with Paula and one of the opposing team's spies.  (Just kidding, she is a friend of one of our teammates and we've sort of adopted her into our team because she is at most of our workouts).




From Left to Right: Diane, Me, Monique, Paula (the instructor), Joyce and Natalie (the spy :) ).
Missing: Lorraine,  Heather, Stephanie.

Progress:  Today I realized another thing that is different.  I sat in the middle of the floor with my kids and played for about 5 minutes without any back support.  Before the contest, I would not have been able to do that.  I would have either leaned up against the wall or laid down on the floor to alleviate the pressure on my back.  My core is a far cry from well developed, but it is getting stronger.
Bad news:  I think I pulled a muscle in my calf.  I believe I might have done it on Saturday at the party (trying to run after someone) or Sunday (the really hard bike ride around the neighborhood).  I might have aggravated it and made it worse this morning at Jazzercise.  During one of the sessions where we were sidestepping and then hopping forward, I felt a slight pop and then some pretty intense pain.  I kept moving and just did the "light" intensity version of the exercises.  Later, I had trouble just walking without pain.  I am icing my calf, wrapping it and elevating it.  We'll see how it feels tomorrow.  I know they say, "No pain, no gain" but this isn't what they were talking about.  I need to make sure I do my stretches more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment