Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Weigh-in week 5

     No fanfare this week.  I was amazed at the effect that this week's weigh in had on me psychologically.  I was struggling all week with water weight.  I had huge swings in weight all week.  One day up 3 pounds, the next day down 1.  When I weighed in, I was on the up swing.  I was up 1.5 pounds.   It made me question why I was dragging myself out of bed at 4:30am every morning.  My team encouraged me to not let it get me down and my wife encouraged me by pointing out all the benefits I've gained thus far.
     Last week someone at work asked me if I had been losing weight!  I had the biggest grin on my face when I answered.  Yesterday I was spending time with my daughter.  She was in a jump toy that suspends from a door frame.  She grabbed a laundry basket that was propped up on its side tall wise and dumped it over.   I shifted my weight to one leg and picked my opposite foot up to "catch" it.  (Think soccer drills).  I did this to keep the laundry basket from slamming loudly onto the wooden floor.  Well my daughter thought that me slowly lowering it to the floor was hilarious.  She giggled, so I lifted it back up.  We did this a few more times and then I switched legs.  I used to play soccer, so this was a common ball trapping drill.  I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO DO IT FOR YEARS!  My balance is improving - though last night when I went to yoga, that was seriously in doubt (but that is a story for another post).
     The point is that I'm seeing benefits in a lot of other areas besides just weight loss.  So my plan is to watch the sodium, increase the water intake and make sure I'm eating the right number of calories.  I know from weight watchers that too many or too few calories will cause weight gain.  Obviously we all know that too many will cause gains, but the crazy thing about too few - and this is the same with water - if your body thinks you are depriving it, it will go into starvation mode and store water/fat.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment