Sunday, May 27, 2012

Visit to a sponsor 4.0 - Yoga

     Last Tuesday night I went with a few of my teammates (Thanks for showing up!) to Franklin Street Yoga.  As you can imagine, to say that I was out of my element would be an understatement.  Thankfully, one of our teammates sent us a "what to expect" document from their website.  First of all, it was hot.  If all I had done was sat in the room for an hour, I would have sweat.  That is not even close to all we did.
     The studio is located on the back side of the University Square complex.  Thankfully I had been to the complex before and I knew that there were more shops around back.  I arrived as a prior class was leaving, so there wasn't any spots available in front of the studio.  The reception area was very small compared to the studio.  There was a small area of cubby holes to leave your personal belongings (and shoes as I found out when I tried to enter the studio wearing my tennis shoes).   The instructor stopped me and asked me to take off my shoes and directed me to the mats, blocks and straps that were available to people who didn't bring their own.  I had brought water and a towel (thanks to Joyce's email).
     After a few minutes, the instructor came in and turned on some music while people were filtering in.  Everyone who came in began by lining up their mats with the taped spots on the floor, sitting down and stretching or meditating.  Not knowing exactly what I should be doing, I just sat on my mat.  My teammates showed up after class started, so I didn't even see them until at one point the instructor told us to turn to one side and I noticed that one of them had placed a mat beside mine and another person was toward the back of the room.  It really helps to have a familiar presence when you are in uncomfortable surroundings.  Not to say that the studio was threatening in any way, but it was not the sort of place you'd usually find me.
     This class was a Vinyasa Foundation class - if you are familiar with yoga.  Here is the description from the website: 
     "These classes are taught at slower pace and focus on building awareness. A steady and informative class that combines movement, breath, and meditation to foster flexibility, relaxation, and self-awareness. Special attention and modifications are offered to each student while emphasizing alignment and attention to breath."
    The instructor told us if we couldn't do something or felt pain then we should go back to "child's pose".  I did that a lot since many of the poses were either difficult, extremely tiring or actually caused me a bit of pain.  At one point, the instructor came over and put some blocks under my hip to support me while I did one particular pose.  I had no idea that yoga would be so hard.  Some of the transitions (for example from "Downward Dog" to "Warrior") and back multiple times were very tiring because you go from laying to standing and back very slowly and controlled.
   The next day I was very sore.  I think I had overstretched some muscles.  This didn't feel like a workout sore, this felt more serious.  It was a few days before I was back to normal.  I noticed this was a level 1 class and that there was a beginner class that actually teaches you the poses.  I think this is where I should have started.
   One of the things about the studio I didn't mention was that there is a lotus flower painted on one wall and frosted glass windows on the opposite wall.  There is a column in the middle of the room with various quotations written on it.  Most of them are of a spiritual nature.  The talk about things regarding peace and "the now".  One in particular caught my attention and forgive me if I don't get it perfectly right.  "Yoga teaches us to cure what need not be endured and endure what cannot be cured." ~B.K.S. Iyengar.  I don't know if I agree, but it was a good parting sentiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment